An exciting new initiative to recognise, cultivate and support musical talent in Australia’s burgeoning Americana/alt-country scene has just been announced.
Known as the Americana Music Prize of Australia, it will take the form of an annual grant to support up-and-coming artists in this genre, and is the brainchild of Aussie singer-songwriter, multi instrumentalist and producer Shane Nicholson. Others to throw their weight behind the project include Forbes Street Studios and Lost Highway Australia.
Says Shane himself: “We want to support, encourage, mentor and resource aspiring unsigned artists in the Americana/alt-country scene in Australia and this is a great way to kick start a career,”
To enter, artists must submit a song demo as well as a bio and supporting media, such as photos and videos. The winner will receive a $10,000 prize pack consisting of:
- Recording and production of an EP at Forbes Street Studios, produced, recorded and mixed by Shane Nicholson
- Mastering by Jeff McCormack at Music Cellar
- A professional Photo Shoot with Glen Hannah
- Artwork design and collaboration by Goonga Design
- A professionally filmed and edited EPK with MC Imaging
- An artist Bio written by Michael Dwyer
- A management consultation/career advice session with Graham Thompson Management
- A touring/promoter consultation session with Zenon Els of Artist Network
- Specific press opportunities, including a piece in Rythyms
- Distribution of an EP by Lost Highway Australia/Universal Music
A highly decorated judging panel, including Rod Yates (Editor, Rolling Stone), Brian Taranto (Love Police), Tracey Griffiths (Dashville Skyline) and Oz alt-country artist Henry Wagons, to name but a few, will select the winner, who will be announced on Saturday 24 March at Crossroads in the Vines Country Music Festival.
Entries close at 5:00pm on Friday 2 March 2018, so if you think you’ve got what it takes to take out the inaugural Americana Music Prize of Australia, go to: