It’s almost that time of year again, when the country mobilises to Clean Up Australia.
Clean Up Australia inspires and empowers communities to clean up, fix up and conserve our environment.
What was started thirty years ago, by an “average Australian bloke” who had a simple idea to make a difference in his own backyard has now become the nation’s largest community-based environmental event.
Of course, Australia’s waste challenges can’t be solved in just one day, so over the past three decades, Clean Up Australia has evolved into an organisation that works with community, government and businesses to provide practical solutions to help us all live more sustainably every day of the year.
Today the focus is as much on preventing rubbish entering our environment as it is removing what has already accumulated.
Gecko and City of Gold Coast are hosting Clean Up Australia Day on the Gold Coast again in 2021. Here’s everything you need to know, in order to get involved.
- School Clean Up – Friday, 5 March February
- Community Clean Up – Sunday, 7 March
- Deadline to register for council CUAD rubbish collection – Sunday 21 February (done during online registration or by contacting Gecko)
HOW TO GET INVOLVED?
- Register a Clean Up site. – org.au – Clean Up team at gecko is happy to help with site identification in your area, site registration and additional clean up materials.
- Register as a volunteer in an existing site. – org.au – Clean Up Team at Gecko will help you find the best existing site for you to join in.
- Register a litter hotspots on the Gold Coast. This will get promoted as a priority clean up site for registrations. – Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 07 5534 1412 – Registering a litter hotspot doesn’t only help during Clean Up Australia Day, it helps us know what the problem areas are on the Gold Coast!