The Community Grants Program (which includes multiple year funding agreements) is allocated funding each financial year to support community organisations to deliver projects that are in the public interest and that benefit Gold Coast residents.
Due to a change of policy, some programs under the new Community Grants Policy are now being offered twice a year, with Round 2 opening in January 2021.
Funding for this program is allocated by Council resolution via two competitive funding rounds per financial year. Applications for multiple year funding agreements are also received via this program.
Who can apply?
- be a community organisation
- operate within the Gold Coast
- have an adequate level of public liability insurance for the project (where appropriate), and
- not be an ineligible applicant.
Ineligible applicants are defined under Council’s Community Grants Policy as:
- Council’s controlled entities
- Placemakers Gold Coast Ltd.
- Gold Coast Education and Training Network Incorporated
- Gold Coast Tourism Corporation Ltd.
- community organisations that receive funding raised via any special rate, separate levy or charge of Council (e.g. Volunteer Fire Brigade Charge) in the same financial year in which an application for grant funding is received under this policy
- political advocacy groups or those who provide political donations
- government bodies (excluding primary and secondary schools)
- political parties, chambers of commerce, industry association or body corporate
- any community organisation that has an outstanding acquittal for grant funding received under this policy.
Applicants must be able to:
- demonstrate a public interest benefit for the project
- demonstrate that the project has a defined outcome that will benefit residents of the Gold Coast
- complete the project within 12 months of the date of remittance of funds (unless Council has resolved to enter into a multiple year funding agreement).
Program opening and closing dates
Applications for community grants are received via two rounds:
Community Grants Program:
Opening Date: 1 August
Closing Date: 31 August
Opening Date: 1 January
Closing Date: 31 January
Round 1 of the 2020-21 Community Grants Program will open on 1 August 2020.
Apply online via City of Gold Coast SmartyGrants:
Applications from $1,000 to $20,000 are welcomed.
All projects funded by the Community Grants Program must be acquitted within eight weeks of project completion or 12 months from the date of remittance of funds (whichever is earlier).
Any unspent or unacquitted funds must be returned to Council along with the acquittal report.