Thanks to the enormous support of sponsors and the Gold Coast music industry, nominations are now open for the second annual Gold Coast Music Awards.
Last year was big. Those who attended the sold-out event will attest to that. As organisers, we were utterly overwhelmed with nominations, with votes for the People’s Choice Award and with guests on the night we presented the incredible trophies designed by Dion Parker.
We already know that 2016 bigger. That’s largely thanks to City of Gold Coast who have again thrown their weight behind the Awards. But they’re grown their support for 2016 and are now our Premier Partner. Not just that, but in partnership with Gold Coast Music Awards, for the first time in a long time, there will be a Gold Coast music showcase at BIGSOUND.
Burleigh Brewing Co. is also back as our most awesome Presenting Partner and as sponsor of the People’s Choice Award. We are absolutely thrilled that they’ve come on board for the second year running after such an incredible effort in 2015.
We also have a new category this year. For the first time there’ll be an award for Best Music Video. We know there are a heap of local musicians and their creative partners who invest time and talent into making incredible videos to accompany their songs. With the help of GC Film Festival we’re going to be shining a light on some of that talent.
Other categories remain unchanged. Nominations are now open for:
- Artist of the Year, sponsored by Southport Sharks, Cabana Bar + Lounge
- Emerging Artist of the Year, sponsored by Griffith University and the Queensland Conservatorium’s SEED program
- Song of the Year, sponsored by NightQuarter
- Music Champion of the Year, TAFE Queensland Gold Coast
- Live Music Venue of the Year
- Music Video of the Year
Last year we received 241 nominations across six categories and more than 30,000 votes in the People’s Choice Awards. We had more than 25 creative partners including SWELL Sculpture Festival and major events such as Live at Bond, Bleach* Festival and Bluesfest Busking Competition used the Gold Coast Music Awards as a tool for discovering talent to include in their programming. Our Emerging Artist of the Year, Hanlon Brothers, went on to play Woodford Folk Festival (to great acclaim) and have credited the awards with giving their 20-year career a much needed kick up the proverbial. They’ve also been confirmed as the house band for this year’s awards.
- 7 categories include artist, emerging artist, song, video, venue, event and champion of the year
- nominations close 30 April
- winners receive trophy designed by Dion Parker
- People’s Choice Award will be decided by popular vote from 1 – 15 June.
- People’s choice winner receives one-off, sculpted trophy by SWELL Sculpture Festival artist (yet to be confirmed)
- Other prizes include paid performance opportunities from partners and friends and marketing packages from Blank GC
- We work hard ALL YEAR to put our winners and finalists in front of decision-makers who’ll help boost careers
- Awards ceremony held Thursday 16 June at Burleigh Brewing Co.
- To be considered for the Gold Coast showcase at BIGSOUND you must nominate for an award. It won’t necessarily be winners and finalists chosen to represent the City. We’ll curate a lineup that helps grow the Gold Coast’s presence as far as the Australian music scene is concerned.
We can’t wait. GC Music Awards team: Chloe Popa, Amanda Gorman, Natalie O’Driscoll and Samantha Morris
PHOTO: Karl S Williams performs at the GC Music Awards 2015. Photo by Matt Thomas Photography