Southern Cross University will deliver its study programs online as of Monday.
Vice Chancellor Professor Adam Shoemaker today announced the University’s response to the evolving COVID-19 crisis.
“We have made this move in the best interests of our students and our teaching staff,” he said. “While every degree that we offer will now be available online, all of our campuses remain open.”
This includes Lismore, Coffs Harbour and Gold Coast regional campuses, as well as metropolitan campuses in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.
“Unless otherwise advised, classes will be delivered online at the same time that face-to-face classes would have occurred. Students timetables will not change, but how they engage with classes will,” continued the Vice Chancellor.
“Some activity which cannot be undertaken online — such as clinical placements in Health and Teaching practicums—will continue unless otherwise advised.
“If, however, a site at which students are undertaking a placement closes they should contact the University on SCUassist@scu.edu.au for support. While essential campus facilities remain available, we are reducing every risk we can identify.”
“There are currently no identified cases of COVID-19 at Southern Cross University,” Professor Shoemaker said, “But we remain vigilant and aware of the highly contagious nature of this virus.”
All teaching will convert to the online mode by Monday 23 March 2020.
Other measures undertaken include:
- Graduation ceremonies scheduled between now and until 1 July have been cancelled.
- International Travel has stopped. Domestic Travel is severely curtailed.
- Enhanced our cleaning protocols across the campuses.
- The Gold Coast Virtual Gym and Coffs Harbour Gym will be closed from today until further notice.
- SCU Fitness Centre and Pool at Lismore will remain open with reduced opening hours of 6 am to 8 pm.
- Additional staffing will ensure equipment is cleaned on a regular basis.
- All fitness centre patrons will be required to clean all equipment they use with the disinfectant wipes available throughout the gym and make use of the hand sanitiser provided at the front desk when they enter and leave the premises.
The University is in close and constant communication with state and federal health authorities and responding as appropriate. For all recent updates see: scu.edu.au/coronavirus